Being a parent is one of the most rewarding experiences in life. However sometimes mothers, fathers and other caregivers need support.
Community Healthcare System’s new Parent Resource Group aims to provide advice, help and learning opportunities for those caring for children with special needs.
“This group was created to provide a place for parents and caregivers of children with special needs to meet and receive resources for various opportunities within the community,” said Courtney Owens, staff speech-language pathologist with Community Healthcare System. “We have guest speakers scheduled to discuss Medicaid waivers, specialized equipment such as adapted car seats and information about special recreation.”
The advocacy group will host several guest speakers on varying topics on the second Tuesday of every month through March 14, 2023. Each session includes an open discussion from 6 to 6:30 p.m., followed by remarks from guest speakers from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
The sessions will be held in Classroom B and C at Community Hospital Fitness Pointe, 9950 Calumet Ave. in Munster. The Tuesday dates are as follows:
· September 13, 2022: The Arc, Medicaid Waivers
· October 11, 2022: Hannah's Hope, a Northwest Indiana non-profit, provides developmental equipment to kids with special needs and connects families by making life and communities more accessible.
· November 8, 2022: Lake County Parks and Recreation to discuss opportunities.
· December 13, 2022: Topic to be determined
· January 10, 2023: Topic to be determined
· February 14, 2023: Topic to be determined
· March 14, 2023: Topic to be determined
The session are free. To register or for more information, call 219-836-3477.
For information about the hospitals of Community Healthcare System, visit COMHS.org