Looking to transform your life, and the lives of others?
The School of Education promises to give you the knowledge, skills, experience, and resources you’ll need to teach, as well as to lead, inspire, and empower.
If you are interested in teaching at the elementary level, you’ll receive K-6 teaching licenses in both elementary education and special education,a high-demand field throughout the state. But if secondary education is more your speed, you’ll be qualified to teach students in grades 6-12 in the content areas of math, science, social studies, and English. And, new in 2020, the School of Education now offers a Sports Management minor and certificate.
At IU Northwest, you’ll find the instruction you need, and the support you want, through our small class sizes, flexible scheduling, and award-winning faculty, who are connected and engaged with local school corporations.
The School of Education (SOE) supports and facilitates the shared vision of IU Northwest by collaborating and cooperating with other educational institutions, external partners, and surrounding communities to further excellence in educational processes and enhance the overall quality of life in those communities.
In light of these commitments, the mission of the SOE at IU Northwest is to prepare professional educators who have the knowledge, skills, and dispositions essential for becoming reflective professionals and lead teachers.
Reflective professionals are those who, in light of current research and best practice, exercise reasoned judgment to:
- critically examine their professional practices
- make informed decisions
- effectively facilitate the learning of their students
Lead teachers are those who incorporate a rich understanding of content knowledge and best professional practices to renew themselves and their professional practice through inquiry and leadership.
Degrees / Programs Offered
- Bachelor of Science degree in Elementary Education (Teaching All Learners' Program with Special Ed Endorsement)
- Bachelor of Science degree in Secondary Education
- Master of Science degree in Elementary Education
- Master of Science degree in Secondary Education
- Master of Science degree in Educational Leadership
- Graduate Program in Special Education (Initial Licensing)
- Graduate Program of UTEP (Urban Teacher Education Program - Initial Licensing)
For more information, visit IUN's School of Education page.