The Economic Development Corporation Michigan City (EDCMC) is seeking a visionary and thought leader, solution-oriented, and results-driven person with a passion for public service as it new Economic Development Coordinator to join our team.
Michigan City, IN is tucked on the southern tip of Lake Michigan and home to the nation’s newest national park, Indiana Dunes National Park, Michigan City continues to forge forward in creating jobs and capital investments while enhancing its small-town appeal through the quality of life projects. Enjoying close proximity to Chicago 60 miles NW via train or car, the community has seen over $1.5 billion in capital investment in the past 10 years. That trend will continue with the $420 million Double Track project that will shorten the transit time to Downtown Chicago from 90 minutes to 60 minutes. Several multi-million mixed-use projects are under discussion, industrial activity remains robust and the focus will be on workforce housing and building the workforce pipeline to maintain our economic growth.
Examples of Duties
The Economic Development Coordinator works closely with the Executive Director and plans, organizes and implements economic and workforce development functions from conception to conclusion: including but not limited to business attraction, business retention and competitive business incentive programs; Business research planning, organizational capacity and development; Performs variety of high-level business, administrative, professional and technical processes. Implements economic and workforce development strategic goals and objectives for the City; Interfaces and coordinates with development communities, local businesses, various City departments and staff to advance the City's overall strategic plan.
- Assist Executive Direct in managing responsibilities for all services and activities for the economic and workforce development agency including but not limited to attracting increased capital investments, expanding and diversifying of agency’s portfolio; Establishes and maintains strategic private and public partnership for positive long and short term economic goals; Implements EDCMC/Michigan City's strategic economic development goals to include:
- Expansion of Economic Development portfolio
- Expansion of Workforce Development portfolio
- Business Expansion and Retention
- Promotes a coordinated business expansion and retention campaign; Assists with planning, organizing, coordinating, and evaluating major economic development activities within the City; Assists with the development of strategies that maintains and enhances long-term economic vitality.
- Coordinates and monitors all economic development programs with contractors, property owners, and other interested groups; Solicits potential development to the City; Generates and nurtures professional working relationships with private developers, realtors, business leaders, banking and financial leaders, professional economic development and trade associations, state and local government leaders, economic development professionals and other community leaders.
- Manages and/or assists in the grant application process for potential funding sources for economic development projects; Works with City departments to review proposes ordinances and codes that related to economic development.
- Analyzes economic and workforce cases relative to business attraction and expansion;
- Reviews and implements modern techniques for business attraction and retention;
- Negotiates and resolves sensitive and controversial issues; Monitors program performance and provides reports to the Executive Director or designee.
- Assist in the development and implementation of economic and workforce development change through attraction, expansion, retention, and various needed techniques.
- Represents the agency at appropriate civic, cultural, charitable, business and community activities as well as serves on boards, commissions, committees and organizations related to the areas that are critical to the City's goals and interest; Assist in preparing the agency public presentations and other reports.
- Ability to learn and work with an existing inventory of economic development and workforce cases while leveraging business resources, available buildings and businesses in the City. A strong communicator; Strategic Relationship builder.
- Strong background in leadership, management, budget oversight and supervisory and Project Management experience,
- Must have demonstrated experience of successfully completing time-sensitive and/or high profile projects through collaboration, consensus and creativity and maintain confidentiality.
- A goal-oriented thinker with the ability to set clear priorities among multiple tasks and stay focus on project benchmarks and deadlines.
- Ability to anticipate a reaction from the public, elected officials, business community, governmental agencies; manage various situations and act accordingly.
- Ability to use standard office equipment and Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Publisher software packages;
- Strong self-starting capabilities.
- Comprehensive knowledge of economic, community and workforce development issues, principles and techniques, including state and federal policies and programs, capital improvements programming, applicable regulations and regulatory devices, associated data sources and information system
Education and Certifications:
- Bachelor's Degree in economic development or business field and some experience in planning, economic and workforce development, business or related field OR an equivalent combination of experience and training with required knowledge, skills and abilities. Master's degree preferred.
- Experience managing projects and people in a public, private or a nonprofit agency or company; Direct experience developing close working relationships with governmental groups at the local, state and federal level, strategic stakeholders including but not limited to: elected officials, board of directors, other businesses and community support organizations would be an asset.
Job Type: Full-time
We offer extremely competitive benefits including funding for professional development, as well as a full suite of healthcare benefits, generous paid time-off, flexible work hours and more. Benefits:
- Dental Insurance
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance
- Monday to Friday
Please send a cover letter, resume to Economic Development Corporation Michigan City with an email to: Info@edcmc.com Please add to headline Attention Clarence Hulse –Economic Development Coordinator. Strictly no phone calls. The position will be open until filled with rolling interviews.