NORTHWEST INDIANA | Community Healthcare System will host Stop the Stumble, a screening program in which physical and occupational therapists will assess balance, strength, endurance and mobility to determine whether adults are at a high risk for falls.
The screenings will take place from noon to 4 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 22 at locations across Northwest Indiana. Call 219-836-3477 to make an appointment. These 15-minute fall risk screenings are free, but an appointment is required.
Stop the Stumble screenings are available at the following locations:
· Fitness Pointe, 9550 Calumet Ave., Munster
· Community Neuroscience & Sports Medicine Center, 1545 W. U.S. 30, Schererville
· Community Stroke & Rehabilitation Center, 10215 Broadway, Crown Point
· St. Catherine Hospital, Professional Office Building, 4320 Fir St., East Chicago
· Community Hospital Outpatient Center, 9660 Wicker Ave., St. John
· Portage Health Center II, 3545 Arbors Blvd., Portage
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1 out of 4 adults 65 and older will fall each year in the United States. Many falls are preventable and should not be considered a normal part of aging.
To register for a screening, call 219-836-3477. For more information, visit comhs.org/programs-and-events/s/stop-the-stumble-fall-prevention-and-risk-screening.